Thursday 14 April 2011

Photography: Portraiture

The Walls replica of The Beatles
Front Cover
Inside Left
Backcover

For my photography project this semester I was required to create an album cover, for a fictional band. I decided to create an album cover for a band that my friends are in, since they are only a local band they don't have their own album cover yet so I thought doing this would be beneficial for both of us.


Initially I started by taking photos of the band, as the main topic of our photography piece is portraiture. After taking these photos I went onto edit them, and make these photos into the album cover, by adding the photos into a blank CD case.

I was also required to replicate and existing album cover using my own photos. The cover that I decided to replicate was "The second Album" by The Beatles.

Before taking the photos with The Walls, I had a vague idea of how I wanted the photos to be used in the CD case. I knew that by taking the photos at night I could easily create a dark atmosphere, and from my research I found that a lot of bands in the same genre have a lot of albums covers which are shot at night, or in a dark environment. Another idea that I had, which the band thought was a good idea, was to make the photo shoot not an official thing, and instead just take photos of them as they are, just chilling around and just being normal. The band don't see themselves are being too serious, and I wanted my photos to give off the same impression. Overall I was happy with the photos that I had taken, and then went onto editing these photos ready for making the album covers.


The photos came out really well, and I found that I needed to do hardly any editing to the photos. When selecting which photos I would use I went for the ones that seemed to work together, and included the full band, just larking around and not really posing and just being natural, as you can see from the Backcover. When editing the photos all I did was just sharpen the images, and also added from grain, and texture to the photos, as I thought this would be a nice effect to add.


After editing the photos I was now ready to add them into the CD case, and make my album cover. I also needed to create a replica of an existing iconic album cover, and the album cover which I decided to replicate was The Second Album, by The Beatles. This was mainly because I like the album cover, and find it very appealing, but also The Beatles are a big influence on The Walls.





Inside of the case
Front of the case
Back of the case